Bordeaux, a hip, vibrant city
Bordeaux is the doorway to a patchwork of various landscapes and facets that will appeal to the most demanding guests – the vineyards of Bordeaux, Cognac, La Rochelle, UNESCO sites and the charming villages of Dordogne, Biarritz and the Basque country, Toulouse, Albi and Carcassonne.
Bordeaux is home to the world’s most famous, top premier vineyards.
Bordeaux’s identity is both rich and complex, shaped century after century by a multitude of influences. It offers the pleasure of French ‘art de vivre’ based on the wine culture as well as exceptional architecture on UNESCO’s World Heritage list since 2007.
As a result of massive renovations that began in 1995, the city of Bordeaux has undergone a spectacular urban and economic transformation with several economic and artistic projects: the Cité du Vin in 2016, the Euratlantique quarter in 2017, a new bridge in 2018…
Bordeaux at the top of several lists
Bordeaux, France’s 9th largest city, is in first place on several lists:
- ranked second on the New York Times "52 Places to go in 2016" listing
- on the top list of destinations where to go on holiday this year among Australia and Rio de Janeiro according to the Guardian
- one of the top 10 French cities for its quality of life and bike use
- one of the world’s best 52 cities for its food
Bordeaux is easy to reach
The Capital of Southwestern France between Cognac, Biarritz and the Basque country, Dordogne and Toulouse. Bordeaux is located in a key spot along the Atlantic coast.
- Over 30 direct international flights
- 6 flights daily from Paris CDG and 14 from Paris Orly
- Connections between Biarritz-Paris CDG and Biarritz-Paris Orly
- Connection between Biarritz and Madrid with Air Nostrum from the end of March 2016
- 22 TGV train connections with Paris in 3 hrs, soon 2 hrs in 2017
- Highway/Motorway: Bordeaux‑Paris, Bordeaux‑Toulouse, Bordeaux‑Bayonne, Bordeaux-Clermont-Lyon and Bordeaux-Pau.
- Airport to downtown: 20 min,
- Downtown to vineyards: 30 min to 1 hr 15 min
- Downtown to the coast and Cap Ferret: 1 hr 15 min
- Basque country : 2 ½ hours